When Sally (author of the wildly funny and insightful Unbrave Girl blog) sent me this photo, I was like “What?! I said send me a bad photo!” I think the shot is very compelling to begin with. After comparing the before and after shot above (and also with a fancy slider thing further down), you’ll see that I only did some minor Photoshop editing to try to make this photo really shine.
After much deliberation, here are my thoughts about the original both positive and otherwise.
What I Like
- Dramatic and atmospheric lighting through the trees
- Framing of the gate
- Positioning of the hand-holding couple in the lower left third
- That guys face mask makes me nostalgic for Japan
- Dial back the green tone of the photo
- Correct perspective and exactly center the gate in the frame
- Enhance texture of the stone walkway
- Make the hand-holding couple more prominent
Slide the slider to compare the before/after shots.
“Wow. I liked my photo a lot to begin with, but I really love the edited version. So… I’m just going to send all my travel photos for you to edit from here on out. Sound good? Yeah, I knew you’d be cool with that.”
Sure Sally, I have a special folder code named “Recycle Bin” for all the free work people send me to do. But really, I’m glad you liked the result.
What do you think? Anything you would’ve changed differently or left the same?
And don’t forget to visit Sally’s blog, Unbrave Girl. She’s a funny lady (in a good way) and I always enjoy reading her posts about life in Asia.